Christmas traditions

Christmas Celebrations

At McDowell we get about 2 weeks off of school for Christmas.  During this break I spend time with my family and friends. At my house we have a lot of Christmas traditions.  These include going to see the Zoo Lights, driving around neighborhoods looking at the lights, decorating the house, making Christmas cookies, watching our favorite Christmas movies, playing in the snow, and opening presents with my whole family.
     In addition to all of these wonderful traditions all the kids in my family have a very sneaky and special tradition.  On Christmas morning my brother wakes all the kids up very early. Once he gets us woken up we run downstairs and look at all the presents we got.  After that, we wake up all of the adults and open up our presents together. What time do you wake up on Christmas morning?
      Another tradition we have involves ornaments for the Christmas tree.  Every year my mom lets my sister and I pick out (or make) a special ornament.  Last year during Christmas we made ornaments for my uncle and brother that have passed away.  The ornaments were a great addition to our tree and I hope that we never lose them. Do you have any special ornaments?
     As I said before every Christmas my family and I watch Christmas movies.  One of my family’s favorite movies is “A Christmas Story”. Another one of our favorites are all of the “Home Alone” movies.  Does your family have a favorite Christmas movie?
     Something else that we do around Christmas is go see the zoo lights.  The zoo lights go on for almost the whole month of December and end in the beginning of January.  Last year we were in an exhibit and I got lost.  My mom couldn’t find me and it was really scary.  After a few phone calls we found each other and continued with the zoo lights.
     These are some of the wonderful Christmas traditions that my family and I have.  These have been happening for a couple of years now and I hope that they can keep going.  What’s your favorite Christmas tradition?