Social Media Bad?

I do think that our connected devices have a negative impact on us and here’s why. According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control) teen suicide rates jumped up between 2010 and 2015. According to the article I read  “Why the rates went up isn’t known.” and while the cause isn’t known for certain it is believed that rising social media use is the cause. So why is this happening? Well according to researchers “Social media posts showing ‘perfect’ lives is taking a toll on teens mental health.” Now that’s a scary thought isn’t that showing a good part of your life could take its toll on somebody else. So what can happen if somebody’s mental health is damaged? It can lead to mental disorders like anxiety, depression, and sometimes eating disorders. You may be thinking “Well what’s the difference between depression and sadness?” Well I’ll tell you. Sadness is a feeling you eventually stop feeling and feel something else. While depression is a damaging chemical imbalance in the brain that causes mental illness. The cause is feeling sad about yourself or being angry at yourself. While this can be cured it’s hard for people to ask for help especially when the person is heavily addicted to social media which is basically the easiest way to compare your life to someone else’s who seems better and put yourself down more. Still think social media is harmless listen to this, a study conducted between 2009 and 2015 showed that in 2009 58% of 12th grade girls used social media nearly or every day and in 2015 87% of 12th grade girls used social media nearly or every day. These girls were reported to be 14% more likely to be depressed than those who didn’t use social media as much. So stop thinking your kid is just talking to their friends and start really paying attention to them and what their doing because in doing so you may prevent something bad happening to your child that was caused by social media. There is a reason I wrote this I was assigned this in class but I thought it would be best to let more than just a few people see what I believe to be something every should see. Please take this all into consideration. I got all my research from Newsela the title of the article is: Teen suicide rates rising,study says social media maybe a factor.