Rick Riordan Biography

My favorite author without a doubt is Rick Riordan ( his full name is Richard Russell Riordan Jr.) . He wrote the Percy Jackson And The Olympians series, The Heroes Of Olympus  series ( my personal favorite), The Kane Chronicles and many more. He is currently writing the Trials Of Apollo series and the Magnus Chase series. He was born on June 5, 1964 in San Antonio, Texas. He has two sons, a wife and a Basenji terrier mix named Speedy. Out of all his books his favorite characters are Grover, Bes and Tyson.

Rick Riordan inspired me to want to be a writer. He inspires me because he takes things that not very many people know about and makes it into an adventure(The first time I read his work I was in fourth grade and I was so excited to find out that he had so many series that I could read). He makes it something no one can call boring. He also includes sarcasm and humor into his books to make them funny.

One of his series, Percy Jackson and Olympians, is about Greek mythology. The main characters names are Percy Jackson, Annabeth Chase, Grover ( he doesn’t have a last name because he is a satyr who lives at Camp) and others. Camp Half-Blood is a safe haven for demigods ( or half bloods), which are offspring of a godly parent and a mortal parent. Percy and Annabeth are both demigods. Percy’s dad is the god Poseidon and Annabeth’s mother is the goddess Athena.

Rick Riordan came up with the idea to write the Percy Jackson And The Olympians series ( or PJO for short) when his oldest son was diagnosed with ADHD. According to Rick   “making Percy ADHD/Dyslexic was my way of honoring the potential of all the kids I’ve known who have those conditions. It’s not a bad thing to be different. Sometimes it’s the mark of being very, very talented. That’s what Percy discovers about himself in The Lightning Thief.” ( The Lightning Thief is the first book in the series) Rick’s son was always interested in Greek mythology and always asked his dad to tell him Greek myths, but Rick had ran out of stories to tell him. So one day when he was tucking his son into bed, he told him a story about a ADHD demigod with amazing water powers, this demigod was Percy Jackson. Then every night his son would ask to hear more about Percy and his adventures and Rick would make up more stories about Percy. One fateful day Rick decided to turn these stories into a book about Percy and it later turned into a series. The series is continued later and introduces Roman mythology in the Heroes of Olympus series ( or H.O.O for short).

Thank you all for reading! This is my second post for McDowell Media and I hope you read my first post called All About Me- Gracelyn!! I hope I get to meet Rick one day. He is the one who inspired me to love reading and to want to be an author. I enjoyed writing about him. For more information about Rick Riordan and his books you can visit this site htt://rickriordan.com/

3 comments

1. Hello Gracelyn!
    My name is Lucas. The Heroes Of Olympus series is also my favorite! I have read all the books. Rick Riordan is one of my favorite authors.I have a question? Which book from The Heroes Of Olympus is your favorite? My favorite book is The Blood of Olympus. Due to your blog I have learned more of Rick Riordan.
    Great blog!

-Lucas V
    Houston, Texas

1. Hey Lucas!
      My favorite book from the Heroes of Olympus series would probably be The House Of Hades ! I have read almost all of his series but I can’t wait to read the third Trails Of Apollo book when it comes out in Spring. Thank you for commenting!

– Gracelyn F
      Circleville,OH