Fudge-Nut Squares

Since it is the Christmas season, I thought it would be fun to do a post on holiday baking!  Each year at Christmas, I help my mom bake cookies.  We like to try a new recipe each year.  We make that decision from a cookie recipe in the “Cookie Edition” of The Columbus Dispatch, (a section out of our newspaper) for some inspiration.  Here is a recipe for “Fudge-Nut Squares, which we have tried before and I highly recommend.   They are like a cookie/brownie bar.  The ingredients needed are listed below.

Fudge-Nut Squares

Makes about 36 bars

1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips                       2 teaspoons vanilla

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk                      1 and 1/4 cups flour

1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter                           1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt                                                      1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)                       1 egg

1 and 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9-inch-square baking pan.  Melt chips with condensed milk, 1 tablespoon butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt in the microwave 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup walnuts and 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Combine flour, baking soda and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl.  Beat remaining 1/2 cup butter with brown sugar until light and fluffy.  Add egg and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat well.  Stir in dry ingredients and oats.  Press 2/3 of the oat mixture into the prepared pan.  Spread with chocolate filling.  Crumble remaining oat mixture over the top.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts.  Bake until lightly browned, about 25-30 minutes.  Cool completely.  Cut into squares.

If you decide to try this recipe, I hope you will enjoy!  I think these would be good to have with hot chocolate!  They are rich and very tasty and will have your mouth watering in seconds!  So, if you are into baking and are looking for something to try for Christmas, then the Fudge-Nut Squares are a great dessert to bake!  Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

I got this image from http://fullonlinebook.com/learning-kitchen/cookies-fudge-nut-bars/viax.html

One thought on “Fudge-Nut Squares