Mr. Svetek

I asked Mr. Svetek, our science teacher here at McDowell, nine questions. Here are his answers.

Q: What inspired you to become a teacher?

A: I had a high school geometry teacher that helped me become excited about school. I was never a very good math student, but he helped me get excited about math and showed me if I put my mind to it, I could do anything.

Q: Why did you want to teach science?

A: I wanted to teach science because of my curiosity of the things around me. Science gives us a way to understand why things are the way they are, or why something does what is does. Science helps us explain the unknown.

Q: What is your favorite project to do out of all of them?

A: My favorite project is the marble roller coaster project because of the excitement it brings out of my students.

Q: Why did you want to teach at McDowell?

A: I am a Logan Elm graduate so I have tremendous pride in our schools and in our community. McDowell is a wonderful place to call home.

Q: How long have you been teaching for and what year did you start?

A: I have been teaching for 15 years. I started teaching in the 2000/2001 school year here at McDowell.

Q:  What is your favorite and least favorite thing about this job?

A: My favorite thing about my job is helping students understand and learn something new and grasp a concept that maybe was hard for them before. The least favorite part about my job is seeing students waste their talents. We have many talented students here at McDowell and some of them for whatever reason don’t want to  work hard and use those talents.

Q: What do you do for fun?

A: For fun, I enjoy playing basketball, golf, and watching the Ohio State Buckeyes play football.

Q: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

A: I would travel around the United States with my family visiting all of the Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives Guy Fieri goes to in his show on Food Network.

Q: What is something you want everyone to know?

A: I want everyone to know I have enjoyed having them in my class this year and I hope they have learned something from my science class.

Now you know a little more about Mr. Svetek, the science teacher at McDowell.