What is a Twinkie?

What is a Twinkie? A Twinkie is a yellow, sponge-like cake with a white, cream filling. Apart from being extremely processed and unhealthy, they are delicious! A true American delicacy. Twinkies were invented in 1930 by Jimmy Dewer. Twinkies originally had a banana, cream filling but in World War II, there was a shortage of bananas, so the Hostess brand changed the cream filling to vanilla. As of today, Twinkies come in many different flavors. They have Twinkies with strawberry, chocolate, blue raspberry, extreme blue raspberry, orange (for Halloween) and banana fillings. They also have chocolate covered Twinkies, one with a cherry filling (for those of you in the Valentine’s Day spirit), one with a banana filling, and one with a vanilla filling. 

Image from: http://spoonuniversity.com/live/dont-take-twinkies/

7 comments

1. G’day Taya,
    I have never tasted a twinkie. Maybe when I come to Denver for a conference next June, I will have to try one. I love the idea of different fillings.

1. Hello, Miss W. I would really encourage you to try a Twinkie! I would also recommend trying some American candy bars. Most of the chocolate bars are really good! =)

2. I love Twinkies! I think that this is excellent information that you provided because I didn’t know that there was different fillings beside chocolate and vanilla! I would have to try some of the other ones. Great post that you have, and I look forward to reading some of your other posts. Judging from this post I can already tell that the other ones are going to be amazing!

1. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind comment. I hope you also read some of the other students blog post’s, too.
      (*^-^*)

3. Great post, I love how detailed you were and even added some background knowledge. That’s something you don’t always see in posts. Also I like how descriptive you are in your posts. I would love to read more from you, keep it up!
    Also check out my posts at
    http://sophiac07.edublogs.org

4. I sometimes get twinkies but I say that they are really good. I have only tasted the vanilla filling! I liked your topic.