The History of Doritos

You may or may not have heard of the popular tortilla chip with artificial flavoring. But do you really know the history? Okay, you probably don’t. But it’s totally okay because I’m about to tell you!

Doritos originated in Disneyland, believe it or not. Shortly after it opened, the founder of Frito-Lay asked Walt Disney if he could open a restaurant with a Mexican-ish theme in Frontierland. Walt Disney accepted, so the founder of Frito-Lay called the restaurant “Casa de Fritos”. The place literally gave customers free Fritos and incorporated Fritos into many of the recipes.

One day, a delivery man noticed some stale tortillas and told the chef, “Dude,” he probably (never) said. “You should fry these tortillas and sell them as chips. I would totally buy them.”

A year later, the VP of “Casa de Fritos” and saw hundreds of people tasting Doritos. “This stuff is gold!” He thought. He named them Doritos.

The company grew bigger and bigger. The VP decided to add some flavor to the chips by adding seasoning, such as cool ranch. Everyone (almost) liked these chips.now they’re very popular and many people (including me) enjoy them.

When the VP died, his daughter sprinkled a bag of Doritos on his grave at his request. Remember, every time you taste a Dorito, they were once the garbage of Disneyland.

I got my picture at: https://www.google.com/search?q=cool+ranch+doritos&safe=strict&rlz=1CAACAG_enUS661US664&espv=2&biw=1319&bih=704&source=lnms&tbm=isch&s

3 comments

1. Okay, this is really great. Disneyland! Wow, I’m happy I have this information. I really loved how you added the ” The garbage of Disneyland” part. Keep up the good work, pearbear.

2. G’day Pearbear,
    I actually checked out your story thinking, nah, it couldn’t have started at Disneyland.

I also agree with Rachie about your comment “Garbage of Disneyland”

1. Thanks Miss W. I really enjoyed writing about Doritos. They are one of my favorite snack foods. What are some of your favorite snack foods?