Frequently Misinterpreted Words

Have you ever interpreted their, there or they’re wrong? We all have! But we all should know how to use their, there and they’re, right? I’m going to give you the meaning, origin, proper use, and examples of their, there and they’re. Read closely to ensure your understanding of these words.

First, let’s start with their. Their is possessive, so for example, if you were to be talking about a family’s dog, you would say, “That is their dog.” Their always modifies a noun . The origin of their is from Old Norse; specifically the word therria, meaning “of them.” Proper use of the word their would be using it possessively, but remember, this word can be a singular person pronoun, or you could be talking about a whole class.  A good example of using the word their would be saying “Their shirt looks nice,” or “Have you seen their new cat.”

Secondly is the word there. There is an adverb, so for example, if you found your friend in a store you might think “There she/he is.” Although there could also be used as an exclamation like, “There, There,” or “There, I did my homework!” The origin of there is originated from old english, specifically the words thær and thër. According to www.theretheyretheir.com/ proper use of the word there would refer to a physical or abstract place if you are using it as an adverb. A few good examples of using the word there would be saying “The classroom is over there,” or “There on the other side.”

Lastly is the word they’re. The word they’re is a contraction, meaning “they are”. They’re is used as a pronoun, if you think someone will be late for class you might think “They’re (They are)going to be late to class.” They’re is just a contraction so therefore, it has no origin. The proper use of they’re would be using possessively, this word can be used as a singular person pronoun or can be addressed to a large group of people. A couple good examples of using the word they’re would be “They’re doing well in math this year,” or “Did you hear that they’re getting a new bicycle?”

Now you know how to use the words their, there and they’re. These words can be confusing, so just remember meaning, origin, proper use and examples of these words. I hope I cleared up any confusions with these words. Now you’re on your way to knowing more words! Who will you share this information with?